It took two days and a hotel room stay, but we now have hardwood floor in our living room, dining room and entry. We thought it would go quicker but when they pulled up the carpet they found 50 year old particle board underlayment that was pretty dilapidated. So they had to spend the first day rebuilding the subfloor with plywood. Then after that they said that the floors had settled over time and weren’t level enough for the hard oak that we ordered. They had to pour a self leveling mixture that took all night to dry, and rather than risk stepping in it and messing it up, we decided to stay at a nearby hotel. We had to choose something that could be installed over the leveler and picked acacia which in the end Sandy and I think looks much nicer than what we originally picked. Now the stained carpets are gone and we are happy with the results. We are putting felt feet on the bottom of all the furniture and up next is finding some area rugs that we like.
Tearing out the icky old floor and subfloor
First they tried making wedges and different plywood thicknesses to get the floor level
But they ended up having to pour this amazing self leveling stuff to make it work
So sad. Workers were all over the place and Beau couldn’t move out of their way fast enough and eventually had to spend much of the install time locked in his kennel.
The first planks. Looks redder than it really is. Its the lighting.
Working around the fire place.
The finished product.
Beau’s new comfort spot.
Just days before beginning our vacation, we finally finished our kitchen and bathroom. The kitchen is roomier and more functional and will be easier to clean without all those tile grout lines we used to have. The kids say the new bathroom looks like a hotel bathroom and came out better than we expected. Now on to the dining room and living room.
Our kitchen and bathroom have finished floors for the first time in a couple of months. They look awesome. Elizabeth keeps on walking in circles in the new kitchen and has made some game she plays based on the size and color of the pattern. Next comes countertops and hopefully running water.
The cabinets were installed this week and it was amazing to watch them work. Even more so because we weren’t doing it. We painted the walls green and called in an electrician and a plumber to fix things that I couldn’t. Its an old house with some odd wiring and we had a pipe fitting burst when I tried to shut off the water. But all that is fixed and now we have really nice, real wood cabinets. We can’t use them until the counter tops come and that won’t be for a while yet, but it’s sure great to see the progress being made.
Green walls. The wet paint looked like guacamole. Kept making me hungry as I was rolling it on.
Cabinets were stored in Beau's bedroom. He's happy to be able to move around again.
First cabinets being brought in.
Our first appliance installed
So when we pulled out one of our cabinet drawers, it fell apart. Not nail back together apart, but particle board turning into particles apart. So we decided to replace the cabinets with lots of help from Sandy’s parents who are pretty much footing the bill. Now just in the last year, we had to replace our dishwasher and microwave. It was easy, just uninstall the old one, go buy a new one and install it. I think that’s what I kind of expected with the cabinets, just more expensive. Boy was I wrong. Instead, it means months of work and planning. The first part of that has started with demolishing the old cabinets, and what a chore that has turned out to be. It’s taking two whole weekends of tearing things apart, prying up tile, fixing walls and floors, painting and having some electrical and plumbing work done. I first thought the kids could have some fun and help, but once I noticed all the exposed screws and nails and sharp-edged broken tiles, I reconsidered and they pretty much have had free (unsupervised) play time while mom and dad are destroying things. Sandy set up a makeshift kitchen in the dining room with a new mini (underpowered) microwave, a hot plate, an electric griddle and all the amenities that were on the now missing counter tops. The tough part is having to get all of our running water from the deep sink in the garage, a.k.a. Beau’s bedroom.
Our "old" kitchen
All these tools and lots of muscle to take apart the tile countertops
Kitchen Kaos!! Ta-Da!
No more cabinet here
These walls are gonna need some work before painting
Destroying downstairs; building upstairs
Prepping for paint and new cabinets