So when we pulled out one of our cabinet drawers, it fell apart. Not nail back together apart, but particle board turning into particles apart. So we decided to replace the cabinets with lots of help from Sandy’s parents who are pretty much footing the bill. Now just in the last year, we had to replace our dishwasher and microwave. It was easy, just uninstall the old one, go buy a new one and install it. I think that’s what I kind of expected with the cabinets, just more expensive. Boy was I wrong. Instead, it means months of work and planning. The first part of that has started with demolishing the old cabinets, and what a chore that has turned out to be. It’s taking two whole weekends of tearing things apart, prying up tile, fixing walls and floors, painting and having some electrical and plumbing work done. I first thought the kids could have some fun and help, but once I noticed all the exposed screws and nails and sharp-edged broken tiles, I reconsidered and they pretty much have had free (unsupervised) play time while mom and dad are destroying things. Sandy set up a makeshift kitchen in the dining room with a new mini (underpowered) microwave, a hot plate, an electric griddle and all the amenities that were on the now missing counter tops. The tough part is having to get all of our running water from the deep sink in the garage, a.k.a. Beau’s bedroom.
After the kids spent some time dying eggs, the Easter Bunny snuck in to bring in easter baskets and then run out to the back yard to hide them before moving on to the next house. We had a nice Easter breakfast instead of dinner because once again, I headed out to work.